Subject: Re: X11R6 shared libs, colour servers
To: Tim Walls <tjw1@doc.ic.ac.uk>
From: Ron Roskens <roskens@reality.cs.umn.edu>
List: amiga-x
Date: 10/30/1994 07:47:30
Direct from the mouth of Tim Walls:

> Hi folks!  Me (again (*3))....
>
>   I have just finished installing X11R6-Amiga on my machine, and it works
> perfectly (bar swapping like crazy :*);  I do have a couple of small problems
> though (uh-oh ;-)...
>
>     o Fvwm looks for an Xpm shared library, which would appear not to be
>       in the X11R6-lib arhive....
Thats because the Xpm library is not a standard X11 library. But you should
have no problems compiling it.

>     o (Possibly related), xv (the version on uni-regensburg, as is the X
>       distrib) is looking for some R5 shared libs (in particular, X11.5.2),
>       which I don't have;  is there anywhere I can pick up the R5 shared
>       libs for compatibility purposes?

X group says to create a link to that file. Also make sure that you specify
sometime during booting a 'ldconfig /usr/local/X11R6/lib' so the shared
libraries are handled correctly.

>     o Is there any way of specifying to the Xamiga server what screen mode
>       to use?  (my console has been set up for PAL using iteconfig, but X
>       switches into NTSC when it runs).
I know it's possible to specify the screen size to use: -W & -H options.

> Ummmmm, I think thats all <grin>.  Sorry about so many questions, but I have
> read the X11R5 FAQ, and not found any answers (to these questions, anyway ;).
> Before I go, congrats on the ease of installing the lot - I was expecting a
> good deal more hassle :*)
>
> Cheers, Tim.

Ron