Subject: Re: XamigaMono Server for R6
To: Bernd Ernesti <erbe0011@FH-Karlsruhe.DE>
From: None <mw@eunet.ch>
List: amiga-x
Date: 09/16/1994 10:28:08
[sorry for not replying on the initial article]

> >    Bernd> Hello, I'm sorry that I made an mistake for the R6 server
> >    Bernd> on Regensburg.  I forget to set the setuid and owner root
> >    Bernd> for the the server, so you get problems when you want to
> >    Bernd> use it unter non-root.  Thanks to Hubert Feyrer who told me
> >    Bernd> that.

Why ON EARTH would you want a huge program such as the Xserver to run
as root?? Sounds almost worse than sendmail :-) Seriously, what functionality
doesn't work if the server isn't run as root? I'm curious because I'm building
a (retina) R6 server myself, and haven't so far faced ANY problems running
it as a normal user.

-Markus
--
EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	mw@eunet.ch