Subject: Re: xbsdcc[24]: resolution fixed ?
To: None <markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Markus Landgraf <landgraf@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de>
List: amiga-x
Date: 04/06/1994 09:07:39

    Markus> On Apr 5, 2:14pm, Markus Landgraf wrote:
    >> Subject: xbsdcc[24]: resolution fixed ?  Hi,

    Markus>  Time to update the X FAQ...

    >> this weekend I tried to get the xbsdcc color Xserver running on
    >> my A2024. It worked well but only in PAL resolution
    >> (640x566). There was no way to tell the server to use
    >> 1024x1024x2, like the old Xamiga server. To get the old Xamiga
    >> server running with 1024x1024x2, I had to modify the view
    >> default sizes is src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/view.c and to recompile
    >> the kernel. So the default resolution for opening a /dev/view
    >> is set correctly, this leads to the assumption that the new X
    >> servers xbsdcc force the resolution to be the hardcoded value
    >> 640x566.

    Markus>  Brr.  Ever heard of iteconfig? This nifty programm
    Markus> changes the size and the colors of the console
    Markus> _online_. No need to compile your own kernel or to use
    Markus> binpatch! This way it is easy to change the comsole size
    Markus> from 640x480 (NTSC/PAL) to 1024x1024 for A2024.

This is true for /dev/grf0, but /dev/view is a bitmap orientated
device, it opens a bitmap with the desired size. So the application,
the Xserver in this case, dictates the resolution. But, to be sure, I
tried to change the resolution with iteconfig and used the old Xamiga
server.  The result was, starting from a 1024x1024 console the Xserver
switched back to 640x400, the default size of the views, of course.

    Markus>  The new xbsdcc X servers don't read the size of the
    Markus> console and open a hard-coded screen, as you remarked
    Markus> already. You need to patch the server. Get a binary editor
    Markus> (heck, even the vi does it) and look for the (binary)
    Markus> value 640 (0x280 ?) and change it into 1024.

Thank You. This I will try next.

Landi#2
landgraf@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de
"The only time when I'm easy is when I'm killed by death"
"If You got the power, that don't mean You got the right"
                                                          I. Kilmister