Subject: Re: xbsdcc[24]: resolution fixed ?
To: Markus Landgraf <landgraf@crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-x
Date: 04/05/1994 17:51:46
On Apr 5,  2:14pm, Markus Landgraf wrote:
> Subject: xbsdcc[24]: resolution fixed ?
> Hi,

 Time to update the X FAQ...

> this weekend I tried to get the xbsdcc color Xserver running on my
> A2024. It worked well but only in PAL resolution (640x566). There was
> no way to tell the server to use 1024x1024x2, like the old Xamiga
> server. To get the old Xamiga server running with 1024x1024x2, I had
> to modify the view default sizes is src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/view.c and
> to recompile the kernel. So the default resolution for opening a
> /dev/view is set correctly, this leads to the assumption that the new
> X servers xbsdcc force the resolution to be the hardcoded value
> 640x566.

 Brr.
 Ever heard of iteconfig? This nifty programm changes the size and
 the colors of the console _online_. No need to compile your own
 kernel or to use binpatch! This way it is easy to change the
 comsole size from 640x480 (NTSC/PAL) to 1024x1024 for A2024.

 The new xbsdcc X servers don't read the size of the console and open
 a hard-coded screen, as you remarked already. You need to patch the
 server. Get a binary editor (heck, even the vi does it) and look
 for the (binary) value 640 (0x280 ?) and change it into 1024.

--
Markus Illenseer