Subject: Re: Blitting
To: None <amiga-x@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Phil Mucci <phil@gradient.com>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/24/1994 18:33:23
---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> [ Putting on asbestos suit ]
>
> I don't think we want to start cluttering the kernel up with CPU driven
> rendering routines for stuupid frame buffers.  X servers should query the
> particular view device for supported operations and patch the jump table
> appropriately.  Unused routines are not part of the working set and need
> never be paged in. (On the other hand if pixmaps are not supported, two
> sets of routines are used and swapped in, and performance goes down the
> tubes.)
>
> [ Removing asbstos suit ]

  [ Getting the extinguisher ]

  Why not just have one server which does everything through the
views device? It could be specified at kernel build time what you wanted.
You could specify 'mfb' code like the small-fast-CPU-heavy 'Xamiga'
server. Accelerated boards would just put the server to sleep and queue
the request - be that a blit or whatever. Putting anything into the server
is a bad idea - look what happened to the X86 server.

	No one has yet answered me about the grf device though...
I assume it's going to be trashed?

	-Phil

P.S. Could someone give me a specific pointer to the latest view
sources? sun-lamp is always busy and I haven't been able to find the
appropriate directory on the mirrors.