Subject: Re: Different X servers...
To: Phil Mucci <phil@gradient.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-x
Date: 03/09/1994 17:10:30
On Tue, 8 Mar 1994, Phil Mucci wrote:

> 	I noticed that there are a couple (at least two) X servers
> for NetBSD. Could someone explain the differences?

> 	Also, could someone give me a detailed explanation
> of the devices that these X servers use and how they use them?
> Like grf, grfabs, views, what's the difference/purpose to all
> these different devices?  (I'm coming from the Linux porting angle
> here, but I'm sure some NetBSD'ers would like to know).

Xmono was the first X server for the Amiga.  It uses the grf device
for the custom chips.  It also happens to be humongous.

Xami came out later.  It also uses /dev/grf.  It is much smaller, but
doesn't work with any of the more recent kernels.

Xretina is a color server for retina graphics cards.

Xamiga I ported.  It's small, monochrome, and uses /dev/view (at least
the binary does.)  It is also the only one with published sources.  I
hope to add blitter support and color, but currently do not have the
disk space to do so.

There is supposed to be a color server for the custom chips, but it's
not out yet.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid