Subject: Floppy information again
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <henson@colossus.mathcs.rhodes.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/14/1995 01:33:49
 I just got back from a two-week vacation, and I'm ready to get some
serious work done on the floppy driver. I received a few responses to
my last post, and I would appreciate all the information that was
offered to me last time concerning the MS-DOS floppy layout.

 I don't know about variations on the MS-DOS MFM layout. This is my first
non-classroom kernel hacking project, so I'd rather focus on getting the
basic code working that on adding every neat feature I can think of. I
will try to keep this kind of future expansion in mind when I design the
code, however.

 I'll have to look at the kernel source again on the issue of high-density
drive usage. I was told that high density drives simply need twice as
many bits written to them, but my floppies have been a bit unreliable
since I started messing with the kernel. In fact, I haven't been able to
do much with the one double-density disk I was able to newfs (to whatever
filesystem is the default) and mount, and I don't know exactly
at what stage I lost that capability.

Thanks,
Mike Henson
henson@colossus.mathcs.rhodes.edu