Subject: Re: NetBSD 0.9 binary compatibility in 1.0?
To: None <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 12/19/1994 16:46:32
>>>>> "Markus" == Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:

Markus> On Dec 18, 2:02am, Tero Manninen wrote:
>> OK, what about this 64-bit off_t fuss that has been around?  Are
>> there separeate 64-bit system calls in the system call table so
>> that old 0.9 32-bit binaries don't confuze the kernel?

Markus>  Imagine partitions or filesystems larger than 4GB... We need
Markus> 64-Bit support in the kernel (well, probably not on Amiga).

I don't quite remember, but weren't the need there even sooner than
you chose a partition larger than 4G?  My memory tells me it was
sufficient the full disk were larger than 4GB.  I don't think it's
unrealistic to have an Amiga with more than 4GB, do you?  If I got one
for cheap :-) I'd definitely buy one...  Today I have 1.5 GB but less
than 100 MB free (So I cannot download the X sources :-( ).  Of course
I've had to scrap most of my ADOS partitions as I can't afford more
than 50MB for ADOS :-).

You didn't answer his questions :-)  Yes there are separate 64-bit
syscalls.

Niklas