Subject: Re: ethernet problems
To: None <amiga-dev@netbsd.org>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 09/06/1994 15:55:12
>  /etc/resolv.conf is empty

Empty, or non-existent?

>  /etc/hostname.le0:
>  inet 233.100.1.1 255.255.255.0

Isn't this a class-D address, reserved for multicast?

>  ifconfig le0 shows:
>  le0: flags=843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX>
>          inet 233.100.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 233.100.1.255
>  lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULITCAST>
>          inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>
>  netstat -ra:
> Internet:
> Destination       Gateway          Flags    Refs     Use    Interface
> localhost         localhost        UH         2      24     lo0
> 233.100.1         link#1           UC         0       0     le0
> tiger             localhost        UGHS       0      65     lo0
>
> What is that SIMPLEX output in ifconfig for? Never seen before.
> What is that link#1 output in netstat -ra? Never seen before.

I've seen SIMPLEX.  I think that means the interface is not in promiscuous
mode, but unsure.  The link#1 may be due to your choice of multicast address.
Again unsure.

>  BTW, what are the devices tun0 and eon0 for?

tun0 is a "tunnel device" used somehow for tunneling network protocols through
other protocols.  If someone can point me to the source code, I can look
at eon0.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key