Subject: Re: No "amiga" define in default compiler...
To: Stephen J. Roznowski <sjr@zombie.ncsc.mil>
From: Chris Hopps <chopps@emunix.emich.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/12/1994 19:13:19

> [Points reordered....]
>
> > 	This will take on all the air of a religeous war soon as there are
> > 	two very stubborn camps on opposite end of the issue...
>
> Didn't mean to start a religious war....
>
> > 	I think the PROPER symbols are:
> >
> > 	__m68k__, __amiga__, __amigados__ and __NetBSD__
>
> Agreed. Can we get the current usage of "amiga" converted to "__amiga__"?

I guess my point is, why do applications need to know what hardware
they are running on?  Above and beyond an m68k __NetBSD__ machine that is?

Very few applictions require this knowledge and it can be seen as a
special case if they do.  Therefor since they are special cases there
should not be  problem manually placing the -D[_]*amiga[_]* in the makefile.

Steve points out that GNU make doesn't define MACHINE as NetBSD's make
does.  So? What GNU application needs to ever know its compiled on an
amiga based __NetBSD__ machine?

The only applications outside of the standard NetBSD distrib that need
to know more than m68k, would be using amiga device drivers.  In this
case you will have to be adding:

-I/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/amiga/dev

anyway so whats the problem?

Chris.