Subject: Re: Serial line speed
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/08/1994 07:43:36
> > From: markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE (Markus Illenseer)
> > On Mar 6,  1:08pm, "Stephen J. Roznowski" wrote:
> > > Subject: Serial line speed
> > >
> > > Is there any reason why the speeds 57600 and 115200 are not
> > > supported by ser.c?
> >
> >  Some test yielded that an Amiga3000 running NetBSD is not able to
> >  constantly serve (input and output) these speed without major
> >  dropouts.
>
> While I'll agree that I might not *want* to run my A3000 at these
> speeds, they should at least be supported... :-)

I might get flamed for this, but: the following has been observed:

i486DX2/66 running Linux: does 115200 no problem (kernel hack required to
enable baud rate in baud table)
Same box with NetBSD: puke puke puke
A3000/16 running AmigaOS V40: does 38400, but asserts RTS/CTS while doing so
Same box with NetBSD at 115200?  No chance!

BTW, the i486 had a buffered UART, my Amiga does not.

Agreed that 115200 can be supported by expansion cards, but not practical
on internal port.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email: dej@eecg.utoronto.ca, finger for more info/PGP public key