Subject: NS16450/NS16550 driver
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Gregory Kritsch <gkritsch@sail.uwaterloo.ca>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/08/1994 01:16:28
Hello all.

A while ago I asked if anyone was writing a driver for the Supra internal
modems for the Amiga.  Since no one said no, I'm assuming everyone in this
group is individually working on a driver... :-)

Seriously, I had the card out the other day, and noticed the MX16C450 part
number, which caused me to go ``hmm, isn't that what isa bus NetBSD
machines use?''  I downloaded the isa driver and spent most of tonight
playing with that information on the AmigaDOS side.  No interrupts yet,
but I have corrected the baud rate equation.

So, my first question is: are there any other Amiga serial cards that use
either the NS16450 or the NS16550 or compatible chips, and if so, can
anyone provide pointers on how I can write the driver to support all these
cards.

My second question is: any thoughts, comments or suggestions on how
compatible the isa driver will be with the Amiga one, and what work
I'll have to do to make it work.  I'm new at writing device drivers, so
please, no one hold your breath on this.  Should I try adding ifdef code
to the isa driver so it also runs on the Amiga, or should I start my
own code from scratch (based on the isa driver)?

Gregory