Subject: Re: Latest sun-lamp and as failure
To: None <abair@sol-tx.sps.mot.com, amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Stephen J. Roznowski <sjr@zombie.ncsc.mil>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/05/1994 20:32:06
> I picked up the latest set of sources from sun-lamp (2/28/94) for sys from the
> tar_files directory. I ran into a road block when trying to assemble the
> locore.s file. The assembler fails complaining about an unknown opcode of
> ".type". This is in the sys/arch/m68k/include/asm.h file for the definition
> of the ENTRY macro. Comparing against the 720 sources the leading "_" was
> dropped and the ".type name,@function;" was added.
>
> I'm trying to build with a 720 based system. Do I need to upgrade to 744
> based system first? Do I need a newer assembler, the current one is 1.38?
> This seems pretty old, since we have 2.5x on the Sun4 at work.
>
> I have read through all my saved Email from last December and about the only
> things I saw related were to not use gcc 2.5.8. Most of the other items I
> did not have trouble with, since they seem to have already been fixed in the
> sun-lamp sources.
>
> I want to start working from the sun-lamp sources, with the idea to eventually
> rebuild from scratch. What is the quickest route to get to that point?

I'd recommend picking up the new binaries from eunet (currently in
incoming) dated 19 Feb. I'm currently building a new set that I'll be
uploading in the next couple of days. There should also be a "generic"
kernel (in incoming) that is from the same date range.

The "720" stuff is pretty ancient....

-SR