Subject: Re: makedev/views
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/05/1994 02:35:47
In article <9403050033.AA19448@> newsham@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu writes:
> (and more then I'd care to know :) but it seems to be that the
> unit variable is getting set to the position into the string of
> the unit number not the actual unit number itself, ie:
>
>    makedev view2
>
> will set the unit variable to 5 and
>
>    makedev view02
>
> will set unit to 6.  Weird?  Anyway all of this will cause the

This is because you have a broken "expr" command.  Instead of extracting
the number, it returns the length of the string! Apparently the regexp
stuff was somewhat broken at one point, which caused expr to behave this
way.  Replacing your expr with one newer or older than what you have
should fix the problem. I ran into this when writing the script, and
switched back to an older expr. Since then I've upgraded to -current and
it works fine too. Only that one version was broken, unfortunately
that's probably the one in most common use right now.

--
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
tsarna@endicor.com        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."