Subject: Re: Floppy driver
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Brad Pepers <pepersb@cuug.ab.ca>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/02/1994 08:39:31
> I'm happy to hear you've gone ahead with a driver in the Unix
> philosophy.  Certainly, I can understand the need to support
> things such as Sun disk labels, but I think that's something
> that can be done without limiting the access user level
> processes have to the entire media.
>
> In case you're interested, the Sun disk label is as follows:
> a is cylinders 0-78	(79 total)
> b is cylinder  79	(1 total)
> c is cylinders 0-79	(80 total)
>
> Well, here's what I am wondering.  This is not something that's
> needed, but it's something I'd like to see your driver support.
> How about looking for a Sun label (magic number) in the first
> sector of the disk?  If it's there, respect the partitions in
> the label.  If it's not, then use your default label strategy
> which you've already outlined.

What format of tracks do Suns use? Likely not amiga, maybe msdos?
If not amiga then this is a moot point until the driver can
understand msdos tracks. When thats going, I can look into it.
Not havng a Sun though it will be hard for me to test!

<stuff deleted on track 40 handling>

I agree with you!

> P.S. Thank you for your excellent contribution to NetBSD Amiga.
>
> - Chris Hooper     Computer Sciences Corporation - System Support Engineer at
>   hooper@gdls.com  General Dynamics, Land Systems Division     (810) 825-5061

| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |
+------------------ Brad Pepers -- pepersb@cuug.ab.ca -------------------+