Subject: fdformat
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Brad Pepers <pepersb@cuug.ab.ca>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/01/1994 19:26:26
Well here goes with more questions!

Here is my understanding of how disks will be formatted on netbsd:

1. There will be a low-level format program (fdformat) which tells
   the driver through an ioctl to format the drive. All this does
   is tracks in the right format for the disk type and track type
   with the sectors data as all zero.

2. The next level is the file system formatting. For msdos and amiga
   disks I think we can just have an image of a formatted disk and
   dd it onto the disk. That should do it. For ufs disks, newfs is
   used.

Thats it. I think this is pretty standard and it is very simple too.

| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |
+------------------ Brad Pepers -- pepersb@cuug.ab.ca -------------------+