Subject: Re: drm drivers for NetBSD
To: Yorick Hardy <yhardy@uj.ac.za>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/22/2007 20:36:17
yhardy@uj.ac.za said:
> > The "glxgears" score is actually a bit less than with software
> > rendering
> Did you turn off debugging?

The code is compiled in, but the "hw.dri.debug" sysctl flag
is switched off.

Checked a bit more throughly and found that software is only faster
with the (relatively small) default window size of glxgears.
At full screen size, dri wins: I'm getting 80 fps; about 9%
of a CPU (of 2 on a dual-core) is used plus ~10% system time.
Software rendering gives 64 fps and uses 99% of a CPU.
The worst combination is btw to have dri enabled but AIGLX
disabled. It uses a different way of software rendering
appearently which causes flickering output and gives 19fps
at 99% CPU load. In case it matters, the driver modules are
from Mesa-6.5.2.

> I am afraid I have not checked if everything is ready. Have you looked
> to see if the copyright messages are all okay?

As long as the original messages are preserved, this should
be fine.

> What do we do about the
> commented parts from FreeBSD

We should leave this in, at least as long as our code doesn't
diverge that much that comparisions don't make sense anymore.
So we have the FreeBSD base revision available and can easily
check whether there are FreeBSD patches to pull in.
It might make sense to remove the '$', so that a FreeBSD
CVS server doesn't recognize it as keyword anymore.

Thanks for your work again -- some applications (as the
"stellarium" astronomy program) which were extremely sluggish
before are now fun to play with.

best regards
Matthias