Subject: Re: Questions about (setting up) X on NetBSD v1.6.2/i386
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/18/2004 16:28:21
Hello Pavel, you wrote:

 > > com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
 >
 > This is the serial port. The corresponding device file should be
 > /dev/tty00.
 >
 > Maybe you don't know that there are no kernel drivers for serial mouse,
 > only for the serial port. There is an userspace driver (a daemon), called
 > moused. If you get it to work, mouse should work in X11, if the
 > Xserver is configured to use wsmouse. Look at the moused manual page,
 > you'll need to tell it the serial port device and the mouse type (it has
 > some autodetection capabilities which could help you with that).

Actually I vaguely remembering doing this in the past, maybe when I
was running NetBSD on an Acorn RiscPC with a StrongArm
processor. Anyway after starting the the moused daemon and configuring
X correctly, X and the mouse is now working. Thank you for refreshing
my memory.

And thank you to all others who took the time to care about my
problem.

Kind regards
  Ib-Michael
--
email at home: imm(at)nethotel.dk
Running NetBSD/i386 v1.6 (and now also v1.6.2 :-)