Subject: Re: XFree86 DRI on NetBSD
To: Erik Reid <reide@canuck.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/19/2003 12:07:26
Le Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:41:41 -0700
Erik Reid a ecrit :
> Quoth Sean Davis:
> >Do you think this has a chance of working on a Riva TNT2? Or would I
> >need to perform the awful (sorry, but it really is) hack to load the
> >FreeBSD kernel module for nvidia cards to make it happen?
>
> Unfortunately there is no support for nVidia cards under DRI so you'll
> have to do the mentioned awful hack.  I don't believe nVidia is really
> interested in allowing DRI support for their cards.

Hey, I'm listening ;)

NVidia doesn't seem to have interest in NetBSD either, a really native
NetBSD port of their driver won't happen any time soon. And since the
FreeBSD driver is still the beta one from November, we can assume their
interest in FreeBSD is also very limited.

In the mean time, no patch of the XFree86 4.3.0 binary is required to run
the FreeBSD driver under NetBSD. Only a kernel patch. Isn't that less
awful ?

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.