Re: Using mmap(2) in sort(1) instead of temp files

On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 07:36:42AM -0400, Mouse wrote:

> Well, I'm not the one (putatively) doing the work.  But my answers to
> that are:

Me neither.

> (1) Small sorts are not the issue, IMO.  Even a speedup as great as
> halving the time taken is not enough to worry about when it's on a par
> with the cost of starting sort(1) at all.

This was not why I suggested it, it was more the case where someone
tries to sort a 50GiB file on a 16GiB machine causing it to slow to a
crawl as it attempts to deal with the memory pressure.

It may all be moot if the time to perform the sort algorithm far
outweighs the i/o time as has been noted by others.

--
Brett Lymn
--

"We are were wolves",