Re: /etc/services losses

Greg Troxel wrote in
 <rmipm444ars.fsf%s1.lexort.com@localhost>:
 |Hauke Fath <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost> writes:
 |>>|
 |>>|
 |>>|
 |> <https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-nam\
 |> es-port-numbers.txt>
 |>
 |> Indeed, and our /etc/services looks a lot more like a copycat of that
 |> file than like the output of Steffen's script - thanks for that. Has it
 |> ever been used for a commit, though?
 |
 |You should write to the people that did the commits and ask them.
 |
 |> IANA appears to have settled on submissions for port 465 (which,
 |> coincidentally, was assigned to 'urd' in the netbsd-5 version, and the
 |> NetBSD addition then declared the smtps alias). A web search for
 |> 'smtps' confirms widespread use, so this should be maintained as an
 |> alias for 'submissions' IMO.
 |
 |I must have misread.  The iana link above clearly has submissions =
 |465/tcp.  It also has urd.  So our file should of course match.

465 is urd and submissions and igmpv3lite (here).
But since MTAs do not look out for smtps (instead of 465 for SMTPS
we now have RFC 8689, SMTP Require TLS Option --- hihihi) it does
not matter to also give SMTPS that MUAs may look out for (which
normal mentally healthy user looks for submissions:// given he
normally uses smtp:// even though that most likely is indeed
submission or so, who knows, .. luckily my hairsplitting time has
long passed).

 |There's a huge point here that I want to make explicit.  We need to have
 |a sane process for updating from IANA, and that involves
 |
 |  - having a script to convert IANA into our format

Did you not ask Christos Zoulas, he surely "did something" the
last time this came up.

 |  - having that script checked into the sources

Maybe that is in "othersrc" or any other such thing i do not
track.

 |  - some mechanism to maintain the "local additions" section at the end
 |
 |  - probably a scheme to maintain any diffs from IANA, if we really want
 |    any
 |
 |  - probably a way to build a new file from iana-converted and local
 --End of <rmipm444ars.fsf%s1.lexort.com@localhost>

What i did not understand was that huge number of additional name
permutation entries we see.

--steffen