Re: Moving telnet/telnetd from base to pkgsrc

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 09:02:45AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> I see far less reason to keep the daemon than the client.

I don't do this personally but I think there are people out there that
have older, slower machines on their local network that take an
inordinate amount of time to perform a ssh key exchange so telnet may be
a better option for them.

If people choose to punch holes in their feet using our provided tools
then let it be on their heads.  We don't ship with telnetd enabled, if
someone chooses to enable it then that is up to them.  Taking it away
from them sort of smacks of condescension... "you are not smart enough
to have this", something that OpenBSD has a habit of doing and I find
that annoying to be honest.

>  But walking
> up to a purportedly Unix system and finding that I don't have "telnet"
> for quick TCP connection testing and have to use nc with all its weird
> options that are inconsistent from version to version and annoying
> behaviours like refusal to transmit ^C is, to me, even more repellent
> than encountering color ls.

Yes, totally agree with this.  One of my first actions when
troubleshooting a network connection problem on a recent linux machine
is to install telnet (and disable colour ls).

--
Brett Lymn
"We are were wolves",