Subject: Re: libpthread busted?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/07/2003 05:11:07
Quoting "Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>:

> The reason that I've been arguing that I don't want to apply this to
> the perl vs. SDL_perl.so case (where the .so is not a direct user of
> libpthread, but just depends on feature A of a library B which also
> has code for threaded feature C sitting around like a lump) is that
> the part of the perl build system that pulls in -lpthread ("enabling
> threaded perl") has all sorts of Danger! Experimental! labels on it,
> and perl is an important enough tool that pulling in libpthread all
> the time for what I percieve as an aesthetic correctness issue seems
> like a bad trade-off.

you can build perl with -lpthread without "enabling threaded perl".  The perl
build asks for additional libraries at some point where you'd add -lpthread,
there's also some -D configure option to do this.  This is how you need to
build perl on HP-UX, if you want to use the DBD Oracle interface since the
Oracle library pulls in -lpthread (same applies for Apache with mod_perl and
that same DBD module...)
Maybe the right solution is to add an option to perl's (and others) pkgsrc
Makefile to link with -lpthread and make those perl modules which would pull
in -lpthread (ask you to) set that option and rebuild perl.

--
Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>