Subject: Re: libpthread busted?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/06/2003 23:57:57
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:

> Adding -lpthread to the link line for the Perl interpreter and
> "enabling threaded perl" are not the same thing.  In the absence of any
> _use_ of pthread features in the perl interpreter, is it not the case
> that the only effect of adding -lpthread to the link line would be to
> use the correct mutexes etc. in libc so that later dynamically opening
> objects that _did_ use threading would be safe?

There's currently an additional effect that the main stack would
become limited to 256k, due to the way stacks and self-lookup are
implemented in libpthread. This is reported to cause some trouble for
the Python interpreter, and I could easily believe that it could cause
trouble for Perl as well.

Removing this limitation from libpthread is on my to-do list, but not
at the top.

        - Nathan