Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/17/2003 12:03:18
Jason R Thorpe said:

>It enhances NetBSD because NetBSD will no longer have to ship *at least*
>2 MTAs ... we currently ship 2 because one or the other doesn't fit everyone's
>needs, and it so happens that people update to yet another MTA often anyway.

>Clearly the right thing is to push the problem out to pkgsrc.  I would
>assert that the vast majority of NetBSD installations do not need to
>accept mail from the outside world, they only need to be able to send
>mail, usually through a centralized mail server on a network.  That
>centralized mail server can get the full-blown MTA.

Email is a primary internet application. Not having it would detract from
the usefulness of NetBSD. Downloading several hundred megabytes of pkgsrc
just to build email is silly. And pkgsrc has a certain amount of problems
when trying to use it to upgrade an application, disappearing software for
one.

I have /usr/local and /home on my systems, and "make build" has never done
anything strange because of that.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com