Subject: Re: bin/16834
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@adresearch.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/06/2002 13:13:32
[ On Friday, December 6, 2002 at 10:41:38 (-0500), Jason R. Fink wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: bin/16834
>
> I am sure it is, so, I guess my question is,
> if we add an option to a utility that is conformant,
> does that break conformance?

No real-world OS can ever be strictly limited to only just those
features and interfaces documented explicitly in any portability
standard.  Portability standards document the minimum feature set and
sometimes also they document where extensions are disallowed.  So far a
I know there's no restriction on undefined 'cp' options in either SuS or
POSIX, at least not for "normal" options that fit the general command
line syntax rules.

> If it doesn't, then I will
> play with adding -v and get the PR closed.

'-v' would be even more useful in 'rcp'.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods