Subject: Re: correct "direction" of barriers in rc.d
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/2002 20:21:45
On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:57:17PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> >> However, what about ordering requirements that are not an attribute
> >> of either script involved, but rather of some decision the system's
> >> administrator has made?  (I'm thinking things like "we want db X to
> >> be up before starting inetd, because inetd has an entry that
> >> accesses that db".)
> > If db X is a `local' script, the correct way to do it is all in the
> > db X startup script:
>
> And if db X is from pkgsrc, or from a third-party vendor?  Is anything
> not from the base system considered "local" in that the admin is
> expected to have to hack on it for such things?

Seems like an 'AFTER' tag would do - one that doesn't require
the referenced script to be present.

Then you could add a dummy script that just contained:

# AFTER: xxx
# BEFORE: yyy

Which would enforce that 'xxx' be run before 'yyy', but not
require xxx or yyy to actually be present.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk