Subject: test-rebuilding gdb?
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/31/2007 17:25:59
I'm trying to fix toolchain/29597, at least for me; now that I'm trying
to use 3.1 semi-regularly, gdb's EOF-handling bugs are driving me nuts.

But it takes over 20 hours to rebuild the world, and a 20-hour
turnaround on changes is a real killer for test-debug cycles.  So I
want to rebuild just gdb, akin to "make USETOOLS=never dependall" in
the directory for a native program like ls.  But the directory layout
with dist/ and reachover Makefiles has me a bit confused.

Is there a way to rebuild just gdb, or at least some fairly small
subset (including gdb) of the tools?  What do I need to run, and where?
Looking over the log from a full build, it looks as though it might be
enough to "make USETOOLS=never dependall" in gnu/usr.bin/gdb53.  True?
False?  Something else I need to do first?  I'll be experimenting and
trying to figure it out myself, but I've missed important things plenty
often enough before....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign