Subject: Re: Reworking the .o suffices in our Makefiles
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/08/2004 13:40:18
[ On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 at 14:12:41 (-0700), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Reworking the .o suffices in our Makefiles
>

> On Oct 24, 2004, at 6:58 PM, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >
> > FWIW FreeBSD uses .So for shared objects that go into .so libs.
>
> We should strive to not add more case-insensitive-file-system-problems
> to our build system.

It's sad that many thousands of us have had to work for several decades
to make unix-like systems popular enough that we can use them at work
and we and our friends can use them to do our daily computing, and then
we still have to turn around and support the lowest common denominator
far below our feet.  Do we really need to continue to stoop so low just
for just a see tiny bit more popularity?  When is all this stooping down
going to backfire on us?

--
						Greg A. Woods