Subject: Re: remove default of STRIPFLAG=-s ?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/11/2004 19:47:39
Luke Mewburn wrote:
> I've been considering for a while that we should remove the
> default build setting of STRIPFLAG=-s (which causes programs to
> be stripped (with strip(1)) as they're installed (by install(8))
>
> This change would provide far more useful debugging information
> at the expense of slightly more disk space.  Here's a comparison
> of a stripped versus unstripped full "distribution + x11" build:
> 	291564  destdir.i386
> 	281409  destdir.i386.stripped
> (These figures are in KB)
>
> (If disk space is a premium, end users can manually strip
> the binaries after installation.)

I kinda don't see why this would be useful. The symbol
table is not very useful for binaries built without -g,
so why waste even the small disk space?

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-