Subject: sparc ELF bits not in gnu/dist
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/20/1999 17:23:34
I've worked up a really cheap way to speed up kernel builds, by using cc -pipe
and throwing the cc1 process onto a second machine via -B hacks and rsh. This
is most useful when cc1 can be a cross-compiler.

What I've been doing is copying /usr/src/gnu/dist onto the second machine,
and using GNU configure to set up a VPATH build tree somewhere else. Then
I just cd into that gcc subdir and make cc1.

Due to the sparc ELF transition however, there are config bits in the BSD
build tree that need to move back into gnu/dist if my scheme is to work for
sparc. The "GNU way" to do this would be to have --target=sparc--netbsd1.4
select the a.out bits, and --target=sparc--netbsd1.5 select the ELF bits.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for --target=sparc--netbsd1.4[J-Z] (or whatever
the exact starting letter is) to select the ELF bits as well.

Currently when I try building a solaris2.5.1 cross to sparc-current compiler,
it gets a few important details wrong, like the underscore settting, and
the local label naming, and quite a few other macros whose purpose I don't
grok too well.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com