Re: Access to testing on multiple pkgsrc platforms

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

> For those with limited access to multiple platforms it can be
> difficult to test package changes and updates.
>
> There also appear to be quite a few people with machines (not under
> TNF control) with which they would like to assist pkgsrc. While these
> machines may not be usable for building official binaries, they can be
> used to help testing.

That's all true, but we also have a mechanism already, which is that
when changes have a high value of "odds of breaking * pain of breakage",
patches can be sent to tech-pkg for review, and proposed changes can be
staged in wip to ask people to test.  This happens a fair bit.

While your proposal for semi-automated CI might help, I think the real
issue is not realizing that changes are dangerous (in this case) and
people not accepting the group norm of the obligation of non-breakage
[q(in other cases).