Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> So perhaps we should switch NetBSD to run bootstrap like all the other
> platforms... I don't know another solution.

That's adding even more disruption, and a much bigger change that was
not discussed as part of this -- so I think for now that's out of the
question.

An alternative is:

  tell people to move the db
  tell people to make /var/db/pkg a symlink to /usr/pkg/pkgdb

  don't make this new pkg_install a forced dependency for everything.
  Just let it get updated like any other package, for now and Q4

  tell people that it would be good to pkgin ug or make replace
  pkg_install

  On February 1, make the new pkg_install required.

This plan is far better IMHO for people building from sources, and for
people installing from pkgin it will work fine.

The real problem is the required circular dependency flag day, which I
see as completetly unnecessary with a symlink.  I've been moving
/var/db/pkg to various other places and symlinking, on a few systems
wtih small /var, and that's been fine.