Subject: Re: Names of the patch files
To: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
From: Tyler Retzlaff <rtr@omicron-persei-8.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/23/2006 00:09:03
I just want to name one more restriction that is not well known (and
perhaps not
followed anymore).  That is that patch file names were not reused.

That is if there are patches patch-aa, patch-ab, patch-ac and then at
some point
patch-ab is removed and a new patch is to be added it is not added as
patch-ab
it is added as patch-ad.

I was quite sternly told that this was the correct thing to do though
I don't recall
if I was ever given an explanation why, I also don't know if all
package maintainers
follow this rule.

As for the current naming scheme place a tick beside my name that
says leave
things how they are, I don't see any value in changing the way things
are done
and I agree that grep is a better solution to the can't find a patch
for file x problem.

Tyler