Subject: Re: Disabling the internal faad2 support for mplayer (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/multimedia/mplayer-share)
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Ben Collver <ben@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/24/2005 15:50:15
On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:29:30PM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 09:46:44PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > We always try to use external libraries -- that way we only have to
> > fix security problems once, and don't have to apply compilation
> > patches to more than one place.
>
> in a different case i would most likely agree with you but mplayer is a
> strange beast and they usually have a reason why they bundle a library
> with their code, e.g. local changes, which might be necessary to get
> some subtle features working, etc.
>
> > Is there any advantage to the internal faad library?
>
> i don't know.  i also don't know why should _i_ answer this question.
> i am not the one who did the change.  that's why i am asking and i still
> haven't seen the answer.

A while back, Thomas asked me to modify mplayer so that it would depend
on the external faad2.   It made sense to me, his reasoning that it
would reduce redundancy.  I didn't notice anything break, but I can
imagine that my commit might break some unknown subtle mplayer feature
under some possible circumstance of our space-time continuum.  If
appropriate, please do feel free to back out my commit.

Cheers,

Ben