Subject: Re: Does SETGIDGAME belong into defaults/mk.conf?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/2005 10:02:24
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:21:21PM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>>Declaring a variable as both package-defined and user-defined cannot
>>work. What do we want to do about that?
>

> Let me ask a maybe stupid question: is there any good in not having it set?
> I.e. why is it optional at all? Many games can not do without it (without
> big patch sets), and I think that is why some pkgs (eroneously) enforce it.

When it is set unconditionally, all packages using BSD-style Makefiles
will install their games setgid-games. This change would affect many
binary packages, and there are also some games (like fortune, caesar)
that don't need this bit to be set. If it would be set, these programs
might be tricked into reading some data that shouldn't be accessible to
them.

> Are there any platforms that can not handle it meaningfull?

I think that's the wrong question, as this variable should not be set by
default at all.

Roland