Subject: Re: make update == make broken
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Idar Tollefsen <idart@performancedesign.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/24/2005 17:12:49
> Here's an example if you want:
>
> http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?message_id=200308262025.h7QKPwu3011893@repoman.freebsd.org
>
> That's a LOT of packages updated, including some BIG ones.  The commit
> message says:
>

>>Bump the PORTREVISION for the ports directly affected by the gettext
>>upgrade.

Well... You managed to find one of the bigger once. That's probably an example
of a worst-case scenario.

As for manpower; it falls on the package maintainer to make sure versions are
bumped were needed. I.e. not really more manpower, but probably more work and
testing for maintainers.

Jeroen Ruigrok said he was working on a portupgrade like utility to "end the
heat wave" as he described it. I, for one, would like to cheer him on. I think
it's sorely missed.

- IT