Subject: Re: pkgsrc and case-sensitive HFS+ problem
To: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/12/2005 12:03:37
-On [20050611 22:43], John D. Baker (jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com) wrote:
>So, I've just exposed my ignorance on this issue.  I haven't really had
>to think about filename character (en)coding before.  (I'm another one
>of those mono-lingual Americans...)

*grin*  I'm one of those language crazy Europeans, messing with about 20-25
languages. ;)

>From what I've been able to read so far, it may be an issue with how
>the UTF-8 character is being normalized to the UTF-16 underlying HFS+.
>Apple uses NFD while almost everyone else uses NFC.  Again, I don't see
>why this might cause a problem, as I thought it should be a transparent
>issue for the filesystem layer.

I need to check into that and how transparent it is.

>Whatever is at issue, it keeps me from un-tar-ing files with filenames
>containing characters 0x80-0xff on HFS+ (whether case-sensitive or not).

I wonder in how much tar might be causing problems here.

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once...