Subject: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/29/2005 00:08:22
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> How about the attached patch?
>
> This way, on a fast machine you can
>
> cd /usr/pkgsrc
> make BATCH=yes bulk-cache
>
> then copy the files ${BULK_DBFILE} ${DEPENDSTREEFILE} ${INDEXFILE}
> ${ORDERFILE} ${SUPPORTSFILE} and ${DEPENDSFILE} onto the slower machine,
> set PRESERVE_BULK_CACHE=yes in your build.conf and save a few hours/days
> of work.

I see no reason not to add the patch (assuming it works, I haven't tested
it). Maybe add a target "prepare-bulk-cache" that runs bulk-cache, and
then prints a list of all files one has to copy over - the above list in
an expanded form will do, but people can't handle ${INDEXFILE} etc. to
cp(1).

Oh, and this should definitely be documented in the pkgsrc guide!

I think adding a section "Preparing bulk build on slow machines" before
"5.3.7. Building a partial set of packages" would be the right place.
Basically a description of the "why" followed by
"cd /usr/pkgsrc && make BATCH=yes prepare-bulk-cache" && a description of
how to copy things over (maybe store the filenames in a file?) should be
enough.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)