Subject: Re: suggestion: load sources only when prerequisits are met
To: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/16/2004 23:40:13
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:54:00PM +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> Right now, when making a package pkgsrc loads the sources and only then
> tries to build any missing required packages. If in the subsequent chain
> of package builds one fails the source archives have been downloaded
> unnecessarily.
> Would it be possible to change pkgsrc to only fetch source archives for
> a package once all prerequisits are met?

How is the reverse any better?

If you don't download the sources for the requested package first, you
could spend time building all the dependant packages, only to find out
that the one you actually wanted is broken/unavailable.

Since the build time in this case will almost always exceed the download
time in the current setup, the current setup seems better to me.

Net Musing #5: Redundancy in a network doesn't mean two of everything and
half the staff to run it.
					      - Tomas T. Peiser, CET