Subject: XFree86 and X11BASE and auto install and no x11-links
To: None <xfree86@blef.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 22:07:37
I was thinking maybe instead of forcing permanent change of X11BASE (like
MESSAGE suggests) when XFree86 packages are installed, to just have the
x11-links to the right thing.

Then X11BASE can be set to LOCALBASE for other X software.

XFree86-* and imake packages get installed to /usr/pkg/X11R6 (or
/usr/X11R6 as a choice). And then x11-links can check for
USE_PKGSRC_XFREE86 and make sure the links are correct for it.

Then other software like fvwm, nedit, pacman, et cetera can still build
fine and install to X11BASE (which could be /usr/pkg).

I haven't tried yet, but maybe x11-links/Makefile would have:

.if ${USE_PKGSRC_XFREE86} == "YES"
_X11BASE=		${X11BASE}/X11R6
.else
_X11BASE=		${X11BASE}
.endif

Then the Makefile could use use _X11BASE instead of X11BASE for the other
few references.

I am hoping to get all X to go to LOCALBASE, but this should be fine until
XFree86-libs doesn't conflict with render, Xrender and MesaLibs.

By the way, I still don't understand the problem with the bulk-builds. Is
it because XFree86-libs isn't automatically depended on? x11-links should
depend on XFree86-libs if USE_PKGSRC_XFREE86 is set to YES. Would that
help?

Or better yet, x11-links is redundant so maybe just bsd.buildlink?.mk
could choose to use XFree86-libs (DEPENDS or BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.XFree86)
when USE_PKGSRC_XFREE86 is set to YES (and not BUILD_DEPENDS on x11-links
in that case).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I will try to provide some patches for above ideas.