Subject: Re: Determining the "maximum length of command line argument"
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/25/2004 00:32:53
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:23:49AM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:13:54PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> >
> > Whether or not a package uses config.cache depends on the package, on how
> > the configure script is invoked.
> >
> > It seems to me it would make more sense for pkgsrc to write a reasonable
> > /usr/pkg/etc/config.site when pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install is installed,
> > unless it already exists.
>
> pkgsrc could also know the maximun line length beforehand (put it in
> all defs.*.mk files) and then set the right environment variable to this
> value before executing a GNU configure script.

Hmm, that would require an in-pkgsrc database of all hosts as compared
to a per-host local installation of a run result for a specific host. I
dunno, is the info there already ? then of course it'd be easier, just
needed to be available. If it had to be added all by hand .. hmm ..

Dunno if it's not better to let foreign system set the values up
themselves, wouldn't that be better for portability ? Just wondering
how we get our values for foreign systems (if they are there already /
to be added this way).

-Martin