Subject: Re: '//' for comments in C code? (archivers/unace)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2004 17:19:52
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, mouss <usebsd@free.fr> wrote:

> - Now if it's not handled by the maintainer, I don't see any reason to
> make everybody (that's a lot of gcccccc people) suffer limitations of
> rarely used compilers (irix, solaris, ...).

Exactly.  Which compilers can compile a given package is a limitation of
the package, not of pkgsrc.  It's not pkgsrc's role, IMHO, to make a
package's source code more portable, but rather to simplify building and
installing packages.  If no compiler is found suitable to compile the
package, pkgsrc can readily say so.  That's still a service to the user.
"//" comments are just the tip of the iceberg, after all.

It might be nice to have a fallback mechanism, some way to say, "Hey, your
system's compiler is insufficient to the task of compiling this package,
so in *your* case, this package depends on ../../lang/gcc" (or something).
 Sort of a lazy bootstrap, if you see what I mean....

I don't think there's any good automatic solution.  The best bet is
generate per-file patches, maintain them here, send them upstream, and
hope.

--jkl