Subject: Re: Support adding admin users/groups via defs.${OPSYS}.mk
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/2004 01:04:37
Quoting Jonathan Perkin (jonathan@perkin.org.uk):
> * On 2004-01-11 at 04:08 GMT, Juan RP wrote:
> I'd much prefer it if we ported pkgsrc/sysutils/user to be portable
> across the pkgsrc platforms we support.  That way, we don't get
> bitten by changes to the platform-native passwd tools, and we get a
> standard interface from the install scripts.

One bump is that:
Solaris has no useful user adding script (you have to figure out
UID and GIDs *always*.

Also, in a NIS/LDAP environment, I often have to figure out
the user stuff that was added and put it in the right place.

Finally, having ONE useradd routine to call on an OS is a Good
Thing because I may have hacked it to do something for my env.
(if this seems contrary to #1, it's part of what frustrates
me about Commercial Unixes).