Subject: Re: everything is a dependency and preventing removal
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/2003 12:35:08
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:20:32PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Can anyone share an ideas, experiences or examples of other operating
> > system packaging tools for preventing accidental removal of important
> > packages?
>
> Look at the pkg_install -- it's just not registered in the database,
> so you can't really deinstall it, but you can update it by installing
> a newer version.

Okay, defining NO_PKG_REGISTER= may help. Thanks for the pointer.

But I want to be able to see these packages are installed.

I want to be able to list (-L) the files included with them.

I want to read descriptions.

I want to have the checksums recorded for integrity checking.

I want to be able to use audit-packages with them.

So I am suggesting that some recorded package setting that means it should
not be deleted unless in some update-only mode. Any ideas on how to
implement this?

By the way, why does pkg_install have the following?
NO_PACKAGE=             Deinstallation is not permitted
(I understand it shouldn't be deinstalled, but why no package?)

Thansk again,

   Jeremy C. Reed

   http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/