Subject: Re: make package
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2002 20:09:35
    Date:        Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:58:50 -0500 (CDT)
    From:        Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>

  | You must be keeping the old work directories lying around. If so, you
  | need to do "make clean && make package", or perhaps "make clean &&
  | make deinstall && make package".

Didn't the pkgsrc stuff get updated so it could detect when the work files
were for an older version, and discard them all by itself?   This is such
a common situation that I was pretty sure I had seen that someone had
added that.

Beyond that, whenever I see someone say that "you have to make clean ..."
I wince.  Except perhaps in some extraordinary circumstances (like the
clock being incorrect when a previous make was done, etc) no-one should ever
be required to do "make clean" (or any equivalent).   That is, other than
when they want to recover space of course.   Make (with the appropriate
makefiles) is supposed to know when files are out of date, and recompile
them, all by itself - whenever it doesn't, I regard that as a makefile bug.

  | "make update" is a horrible hack, and should be purged from
  | the tree, in my opinion.

That I agree with.

kre