Subject: Re: Compiler wrapper for USE_BUILDLINK_ONLY
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/15/2002 08:37:00
"Martin J. Laubach" <mjl@maschndrohtzaun.emsi.priv.at> wrote:

>> This is my main worry with the compiler wrapper script.  Most of our
>> platforms
>> are slow, and pkgsrc isn't designed to be cross-built, so the penalties for
>> using the wrapper scripts can be substantial.
>
> Do we even need to have the wrapper script for "normal" users?
> Once the buildlink stuff works with the wrapper, one can do without
> it, can't one -- ie. have the wrapper only work if PKG_DEVELOPER is
> set or something like that?

I tossed that around in my head too, but I don't think it's a good idea. A
package built from source without the wrapper won't be guaranteed to be
strongly buildlinked, which could have the detrimental effect(s) of

- not building for users even though it built for developers, and/or
- building for users, but differently from how it built for developers.

Both of which would introduce a more fundamental problem, which is that
developers wouldn't just always get the same results as users when building
packages.

I suppose if the compiler wrapper turns out to be a big speed hit on slow
machines, we could introduce a PKGSRC_FAST_AND_LOOSE setting (a la rc.conf)
that, among other things, doesn't use the wrapper.

- Amitai