Subject: Re: bulk builds and issues/results
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/20/2001 14:26:37
On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, James Chacon wrote:
> 1. When it's done it errored out with:
>
> Post processing bulk build results...
> make: don't know how to make bulk-install. Stop
> perl: not found
> Null message body; hope that's ok
>
> Bulk build ended: Sat Oct 20 06:23:39 UTC 2001

I think if you restart it, all shall be well. The reason for this is that
you run the 'build' script, then update it (via itself). The updates to
the 'build' script will only take effect on the next run.

If that is not the cause, it might be questioned why there is no
bulk-install target. IIRC that's only available via some variables in
/etc/mk.conf. Make sure you have BATCH=yes there.

> 2. According to pkg_info it left one package installed. I thought it was
> supposed to clean them all up:
>
> bash-2.04# pkg_info
> digest-20010807     Message digest wrapper utility

Well, that's because digest is needed to build anything, and that's
probably left over in the end. As the next bulk build will take care of
removing it (first), that shouldn't be that much of a problem, no?

> 3. /usr/pkg is a mess of random file droppings from packages (after I removed
> digest):
> 4. I ended up with random files in / ????

These files are also collected in the "leftovers" file, check out
e.g. ftp://smaug.fh-regensburg.de/pub/NetBSD/pkgstat/last/leftovers-i386.html

> Any assistance here would be great. I'll be happy to dig in and do the cleanup
> legwork here but I'm not real sure what's expected behavior completely
> so I didn't want to get to much into it quite yet.

Well, the reason for #3 is files not being in pkg's PLIST files.
The reason for #4 is that some variables are not set properly inside pkg's
Makefiles, and that should be taken care of). Fixing this is a combination
of guesswork and mechanical work, and it would be nice to get the number
of leftovers down.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html