Subject: pkgsrc rc.d scripts
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/14/2001 15:21:15
Hi,

	What's our preference for rc.d-style scripts?  In
databases/postgresql-server/files/pgsql.sh, the script is a
self-contained script that obeys /etc/rc.conf directives and accepts
all the usual rc.d command (start, stop, etc.)  In
net/samba/files/smbd.sh, the script will start smbd if /etc/rc.d
doesn't exist, otherwise, it looks just like the other scripts in
/etc/rc.d.

	I think the smbd script is pretty cool, but I'm afraid that
the NetBSD rc.d implementation isn't yet stable, and that future
changes will cause older binary packages to break, or that -current
pkgsrc won't work correctly with older NetBSD releases.  Or should we
assume that rc.d is stable enough to build pkgsrc rc.d scripts with
it?

	My question is basically whether I should be changing the
pgsql.sh script (and other scripts in pkgsrc) to look like the smbd.sh
script, or the other way around.

	Thanks,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/