Subject: LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Winship <danw@helixcode.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2000 23:36:29
Prologue: libtool sucks.

So, LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE is pretty cool, but alas, it doesn't cope with
LIBTOOL_FLAGS, because that is dealt with by doing:

	CONFIGURE_ENV+=		LIBTOOL="${LIBTOOL} ${LIBTOOL_FLAGS}"
	MAKE_ENV+=		LIBTOOL="${LIBTOOL} ${LIBTOOL_FLAGS}"

but if you're using LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE instead of patching the
configure script, you'll still have the accursed

	# Always use our own libtool.
	LIBTOOL='$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool'

in the configure script, so bsd.pkg.mk's definition of it is ignored.

One possibility for getting around this would be to change
LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE so that instead of symlinking pkglibtool to
$(top_builddir)/libtool, it would create a script like:

	#!/bin/sh
	pkglibtool $LIBTOOL_FLAGS "$@"

However, then you wouldn't see the LIBTOOL_FLAGS when it was
compiling, which I think could be confusing.

So does anyone have any clever ideas or do we have to stick with
patching configure scripts?

Oh, and is there any reason pkglibtool is based on such an old version
of libtool, or is it just that no one has bothered to update it?

-- Dan